|Visit our Genealogy Department to explore family histories-in-progress, as well as completed works.|
The genealogy reference collection includes:
- Jefferson County obituaries
- Cemetery lists for Jefferson County and surrounding counties
- Records of births, marriages, divorces, deaths
- Historical atlases
- Early landowners
- Plat maps
- Digital and analog microfilm scanners
- And more!
Need help with your family history research? Call the front desk at 641-472-6551 ext. 2 for contact information. Local volunteers Richard Thompson & Barbara Rainbow can help:
- Richard Thompson is the go-to person for help in navigating the resources listed above. He has assisted many people with research onsite, and by phone and email.
- Barbara Rainbow assists with Ancestry.com research at the library, or remotely. Together you can create a tree, break through research road blocks, navigate Ancestry.com, or find relatives who match your DNA profile. Barbara has an account with Ancestry.com, and she can use a computer at the library to show you more about your family history. In 1996 when Ancestry.com first offered digital genealogy records, she became a member. She was one of the first to take the Ancestry DNA test and learn how to expand genealogy research through DNA matches.