Giving Young Children the Tools to Become Successful Readers
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten encourages all families and caregivers to read one thousand books with their children before they enter kindergarten.
Studies have shown that families who start reading aloud to their children at birth help to strengthen their language skills and build vocabulary – two important tools for beginning to learn to read when they enter kindergarten. Additionally, research has shown that early literacy has a dazzling effect on children’s general cognitive and socio-emotional development.
How it works
1. Sign-up at FPL or use the online form below to register.
2. Register for the Parents' Book Club
3. Get your first reading log from the library
4. Track Your Reading
5. Write down each book you read with your child
6. Show us your Reading Logs
7. After each 100 books, print a milestone certificate!
8. Read more books!
9. Receive a free book once you reach 1,000!
Click here for more details and frequently asked questions.